Monday, July 7, 2008

Prayer Requests and Today's Oswald Chambers Entry

Greetings All:

I hope everyone is enjoying their Mondays...despite all the physical issues you or your family members are having. Speaking of, here are the prayer requests...and updates to them...that I'm aware of:
- Anne: She's still not feelig 100%. I called her on my way into the office and got a vMail back from her that she
is feeling a little bit better...to the point of being able to get up and get Ashley to Soccer Camp. Please continue to pray for her getting better.

- Jennifer's Dad: From her eMail last night it seems that they weren't able to conclusively figure out what was wrong
with her dad. He will hopefully be seeing several more competent docs today...and will hopefully be able to figure out what's going on. Please continue to pray for her dad...and for her and her mom in taking care of things.
- Dunlop Family Health: I think Kristin's crud has gotten a bit better, but I think she is still feeling a bit crappy. Chuck went to the ER last night because a spot on his leg that had been bothering him (not related to his back issues), started to get really inflamed and swollen. I've called to get an update from them, but haven't heard back.
- Safe Travels: I think that the Overly's have gotten home safely - they were planning on getting home last night at 5:30...and I'm not certain when the Davis clan was headed back in town.


So that's what I know now. I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

Below is today's entry from Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest. I found it to be a good, but challenging read...particularly in light of our loving each other (in our group and at CCC)...and others that God puts in our path on a daily basis - whether we are in a "service mode" or not. Speaking personally, I know that I can really get bogged down and think that I don't have capacity in my "oh-so-busy-day...whaaaaa!"...but that's really limiting things to ME and what I'm DOING vs. leaning on God and HIS strength...and his capacity is limitless. But really where I really screw things up is my attitude - focusing on ME versus HIM...which doesn't even allow for me to hear from Him. And all of this goes back to Alan's sermon on Mary and Martha and our need to SIT WITH HIM first...otherwise we will be POWERLESS and DIRECTIONLESS.

Those are my oh-so-deep thoughts. What are yours? Read below...

Over and out,
Doug

-------------------------------------

July 7, 2008

All Efforts of Worth and Excellence Are Difficult
Enter by the narrow gate . . . . Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life . . . —Matthew 7:13-14

If we are going to live as disciples of Jesus, we have to remember that all efforts of worth and excellence are difficult. The Christian life is gloriously difficult, but the difficulty of it does not make us faint and cave in—it stirs us up to overcome. Do we appreciate the miraculous salvation of Jesus Christ enough to be our utmost for His highest—our best for His glory?
God saves people by His sovereign grace through the atonement of Jesus, and "it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure" (
Philippians 2:13 ). But we have to "work out" that salvation in our everyday, practical living (Philippians 2:12). If we will only start on the basis of His redemption to do what He commands, then we will find that we can do it. If we fail, it is because we have not yet put into practice what God has placed within us. But a crisis will reveal whether or not we have been putting it into practice. If we will obey the Spirit of God and practice in our physical life what God has placed within us by His Spirit, then when a crisis does come we will find that our own nature, as well as the grace of God, will stand by us.
Thank God that He does give us difficult things to do! His salvation is a joyous thing, but it is also something that requires bravery, courage, and holiness. It tests us for all we are worth. Jesus is "bringing many sons to glory" (
Hebrews 2:10), and God will not shield us from the requirements of sonship. God’s grace produces men and women with a strong family likeness to Jesus Christ, not pampered, spoiled weaklings. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline to live the worthy and excellent life of a disciple of Jesus in the realities of life. And it is always necessary for us to make an effort to live a life of worth and excellence.

3 comments:

The Martin family said...

I'm up at 11:40...what am I doing with my life. I like what Oswald is saying, I always wonder if I'm living the sold out Christian Life that God has planned for me. In light of Joey and now another little one on the way I fear that I will get bogged down in the little things about parenting and miss the bigger picture of teaching them that God desires an intimate relationship. I can say all these wonderful phrases but if I don't live it then it will be lost. When your 25 and single your relationship with God doesn't have a corporate feel like it does at 35 with a family. I know God uses us inspite of our shortcomings and that if we make it about Him then success is guaranteed(maybe not our version), but I get tired of the same failures sometimes. And you jabronies wanted me in your CG...

Chas

The Martin family said...

Here is a prayer that I have for my family.

may the Father of Life pour out His grace on you,may you feel His hand in everything you do and be strengthened by the things He brings you through, this is my prayer for you.

May Jesus be Lord in all your ways.
May He shepherd you the length of all your days and in your heart may He receive the praise. This is my prayer for you.

Despite how simple it may sound, I pray that His Grace will abound and motivate everything you do, This is my prayer for you.

May His spirit comfort you and make you strong, may He dicipline you gently when your wrong and in your heart may He give you a song. This is my prayer for you.

Doug-E-Fresh said...

So true Chuckles...so true. Just think how you'll feel when you're old/40 like me!!! But seriously, I know exactly how you fel about getting "bogged down" on all those little things in life that on the surface are "really good" things, but stepping back from it, they're distracting you from the "really GREAT" things God is trying to show us. But on the other hand, all the stresses and challenges and "good things" that come with being a husband and father have been the means by which He has taught be so much about His love & grace...about real relationship, about the parent/child relationship...on and on. Glad he knows what He's doing, b/c I don't.

Thanks for your rambings...and by the way, who you calling "jabronies"...whatever the heck that its?!